What is Permaculture ?
Means: permanent agriculture.
Permaculture is a way of incorporating the home, garden and surrounding environment into an organic sustainable way of life.
- Permaculture works with nature to grow multi purpose companion plants.
- One can incorporate animals, beneficial insects and organic soils.
- Producing food in ones backyard or balcony.
- Permaculture can be implemented in front and backyards, balconies, roof top spaces, community gardens, school gardens, farms and semi rural properties.
- Balcony gardens can include pots to grow herbs, vegetables and dwarf fruit trees.
- Balcony railings can support climbing food plants.
- Worm farms and pot full of water can include aquatic plants and fish.
- Worm farms are a clean enclosed compost system that can be placed in a shady position on a balcony or in the garden.
A deep pot without a drainage hole filled with water can become a small pond with aquatic plants and fish
- Backyards, roof top places, community gardens, school gardens can grow lots of multi purpose fruit and vegetables plants as well as including ponds, chickens, native stingless bee hives, composts, guilds and food forests.
Permaculture creates a natural and happy place.
- Silky chickens provide eggs and fertiliser.
- Great for turning over soil in vegie beds between seasons.
- Good pets for children and will tolerate cuddles.
- Can live up to 10 years.
- Councils generally allow 5 chickens per household.
- No roosters in urban areas.
- Coup needs to be fox proof and have perches for sleeping.
- They require nesting box in coup for laying eggs.
- The only on going costs are seed and castings for coup floor.
- Generally each chicken has particular characteristics and they will voluntarily go into their coup when it gets dark.
Small to medium size tree, full sun to part shade.
Provides good crop of fruit each summer autumn.
Cherry, strawberry or lemon flavoured fruits.
Small tree prefers cooler areas.
Beautiful pink flowers in winter which bees love.
growing veggies in raised beds
Growing food in containers and planter boxes